Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Heritage Park and Heron Harbor

 Not a whole lot has happened since my last post, but we'll give it a go anyway. 

Let's start with a few outfits.

On July 31st, Doc had a colonoscopy. I wore the J Crew maxi dress that I got at the Salvation Army sale. Since it's often chilly in medical offices, I wore a W embellished cardigan on top. My jewelry is all costume.


                                                 




On August 1st, we went grocery shopping. I wore a Target skirt from The Webster Hotel collaboration, along with an embellished T shirt from So, and a pale pink cardigan from Joseph A. My pink stretch shoes are from Susina and I got them at Nordstrom.



On Saturday August 3rd, we went to visit a friend who was in the hospital having her knee replaced. My knit pants are from Max Edition and my tank top is from Old Navy. My necklace is costume.




On August 5th, we went somewhere, and I wore pink pants from Express. They have a grey stripe that I don't think you can see. That's why I wore a grey embellished T shirt from Kenneth Cole. My silver belt came from some thrift shop somewhere.





We went to Senior day at Savers because Doc wanted to look at books. I got three items. First, these board shorts from Rip Curl. They retail for $64.95, and I paid $6.29.






Then I got a night dress from Soma. It retails for $46. It was already on sale for 50% off, then I got another 30% off, so I paid $5.00.






Lastly, I got this muumuu. I have one from Temu and I love it because it's so comfy. They retail for about $30 on Amazon, and I paid $6.29.



On Wednesday, August 7th, we took my MIL Mimi to an MRI down at Hoag Hospital in Newport Beach. I wore one of my favorite summer dresses from Worthington. I got it at JC Penney. I wore it with a Calvin Klein belt, a Swarovski crystal necklace that was a gift, and a bunch of peridot jewelry.





I hung my drawing of Puff in my She Shed. I am getting quite the gallery going on in there.



Jacki's behavior has been making good progress. She can now come in the She Shed and sit down without trying to destroy anything. She also doesn't jump up and annoy people as much as she used to. 






On Friday August 9th, Doc asked me if we were going somewhere, since I wasn't wearing my usual shorts and T shirt combination. I told him that I just felt like looking a little nicer than usual. My yoga pants are from Old Navy, and my top is from Savers. it has a hibiscus print on it and a hummingbird came up to me and tried to get the flowers. He finally gave up.



My August Ipsy bag came. The theme was GLAM. Inside, from top to bottom:



1) Beauty Vault Eyeshadow Regal Palette

2) Mi=el Honey Infused Sugar Scrub

3) Femmue Ideal Intense Eye Cream

4) Benefit The Pore Fessional Matte Primer.

5) One Kind Youth Drops Gentle Refining Peel

Here's a picture of the bag that they came in, along with the eyeshadow palette open, so you can see the colors.


Doc swims in the pool every afternoon, and Jacki likes to dangle her front legs in the pool while she keeps an eye on him. She is a good lifeguard.




It turned out to be a good thing that I wore nicer clothes. We went over to the Fountain Valley Library to look at their Friends of the Library bookstore. 




Behind the library is a park called Heritage Park. Fountain Valley is the city directly southeast from Huntington Beach. It has no beach front. it was farms and ranches before it became endless tract houses.



This is the Talbert Real Estate Office. Talbert Avenue is a major street in FV. Tom Talbert opened the office in 1933. 



Tracts were sold for $1250. I don't know how big each tract was.



This side of the building shows that SE Talbert was the salesman for the company. Note his four-digit phone number in Huntington Beach. Sam Talbert, Tom's brother, was trying to sell his ranch as home sites, but was unsuccessful. Neighboring ranchers ended up buying the land.


After that, the Oda family of Japanese ranchers bought the office and converted it into a barber shop. The oak floors came from the Wardlow home, which also served as the fire station. Wardlow Avenue is another major street in FV.



This was the outhouse / bathhouse. Hopefully, it's not still in use.


This is the Tank House. It was constructed by the Oda family in 1930. There was a pump that filled an oversized tank with water. This system assured that the house had enough water pressure for the bath house. The wooden tank on the top originally belonged to Joe Callens and came from his neighboring ranch. There is a shopping mall called Callens Corner in FV currently. The Callens ranch was on Ellis Avenue, and they used the tank for winemaking.




This is the community center. On this day, they were having an ice-cream social as a fundraiser. They also rent it out for weddings and parties.



This is the gazebo that is used for weddings and small band concerts.


I tried in vain to figure out what this large red silo was used for. Upon doing some research, I found out that it was indeed a grain silo, but that it also stored firefighting equipment.







Next to that was the old stable. There was a water trough out front. They also put pictures of horses in the windows.





They had some old farm equipment that was donated by one of the many ranchers who had fields in the area. Many of their farmers were Japanese who had settled in the region after World War II. Tanaka Farms is still in existence, and they hold annual events around Christmas, such as hayrides. 



This is Fountain Valley Well No.1, the first domestic well. It went into service in November 1953 and produced 600 qpm. The Ishii Brothers Farm used it for their 60 acre pepper farm until 1962. After that, the city took over the well for domestic use until 1977. New water quality standards put the well out of service.



We never knew that Heritage Park was there. It was very peaceful and beautiful, and we enjoyed seeing it!


Now for some wildlife, in the form of birds. We have three places that we see them frequently. The area where we watched the four goslings grow up has been nicknamed Gosling Bay. The area where we see Harry the Heron has been nicknamed Heron Harbor. And the flood channel where we see lots of different birds has been nicknamed Waterfowl Resort. 

Here is Harry, kicking it back in the Resort. We see him there about half the time. It's only a block away from Heron Harbor.



Here are an Ibis and a Snowy Egret kicking it together in Waterfowl Resort.


This picture shows two Snowy Egrets in the channel. The Ibis is next to them. He had something in his beak that he was eating, and the egrets wanted it.



This is Harry kicking it with a family of ducks.





Here is Harry breaking the law at Heron Harbor. He is obviously fishing, but that sign shows the Civic Code that he is violating.



                                                  

We also see many tiny and big lizards sunbathing everywhere. They hate the dogs. 

                                                        





Last but not least is this statue outside of Total Wine and More. It is called Acrobats and was done by John Robinson. The parking lot used to belong to a Sports Chalet store, but they went out of business and Bob's Discount Furniture moved in. I guess someone didn't like the naked guys, because they covered his goodies up with a sarong.




Well that's all for now. Hopefully, I will do something a little more interesting for the next episode, so stay tuned!









No comments:

Post a Comment