Monday, August 1, 2016

Get Ready for the Big One !!!

No, not an earthquake, although we always have to be ready here in California. I'm talking about the giant post that I am about to write.

It all started on Friday. Doc loves halva, so on the way home from work, I stopped at Hamle Market, the Middle Eastern grocer on the way home from work.



They had lots of varieties, so I got marble and pistachio. I also got two different brands, so Doc could see which one he likes best. Both were made in Turkey. I also got yogurt dip seasoning, avjar, and sour cherry jam. Today's lunch is pasta with yogurt dip, asparagus, and avjar.



When I got denied by the plastic surgeon on Thursday (just kidding, I see him tomorrow night), I stopped at one of my favorite consignment shops - I don't get down that way too often. I got a pair of Sofft sandals for $12. I wore them to the fair this weekend, and they were very comfy. I will replace my disgusting running shoes that I use to do my walking at work with these - that way, I can run over to the hospital if I'm called, without having to change my shoes first.




Speaking of the Orange County Fair, we went on Saturday. We had tickets for Earth, Wind and Fire. Admission to the fair is free with concert tickets.



Here I am, posing on front of the logo.


This is a view of the main fairway as you walk through the gates. It was hot, so we bought two Koolie towels that you wet, then snap, and they keep you cool. They work well - I have seen the construction workers wearing them.



The good old bacon wrapped food stand. We got zucchini curly fries. No frog legs for us.


Here I am, in the Centennial Garden, toasting everyone with my cup of Stella Artois.



There were lots of pigs. People were going crazy over how cute they are, but look at how big they will soon be.



As you can see, the mama has been busy. She had 10 piglets.




There were also lots of dairy goats. Some of the varieties are very cute and have cool markings.




My favorites were the Nubian goats. They have the long lop ears. The others were cute as well. We watched the judging for the best in show - an Alpine goat won. She is brown and black spotted.


Check out this ox. Compare him to the people looking at him, and you can get an idea of just how HUGE he is. The people above him are standing on the fence - look to the left for people on the ground. My favorite ox, the Watusi, couldn't make it this year. 





Then we saw Earth Wind and Fire. They were great. I have seen them before, about 10 years ago. We didn't get home until midnight. We Ubered there and back, so I could have beer.

On Sunday, we went over to Pieology. I went there on the weekend of the Fourth of July, and dropped my business card in the box. I won a free lunch.



This heavily loaded number was Doc's.



This was mine.

Here are both of them. It costs $8.45, and you go down a line and the pizza chef puts everything you want on top. It cooks in 5 minutes. It's good, and I was planning to go back again, but I won before I could make it back. I ate half and Doc ate most of his.

Before Pieology, I got up and went for a long run. I tried to go on Saturday, but it was too humid, so I gave up after about 4 miles. I figured that I would be walking a lot at the fair anyway, and I was right. I saw my Egyptian geese family again.



They were hanging out with some of the other geese. They are almost fully grown now.

In the afternoon, we went over to see Mimi, my MIL, because she had been feeling sick a few days ago. But she's fine now. We also walked her dog, Bella, the black Lab. Then We came home and went in the pool. Doc has been going in the pool almost every day lately.



Elli is the best swimmer of the bunch. Kenni is the worst.  Here he is, giving Elli some swimming advice.


Vinni hates the water. I put him in, and when he got out, he immediately rolled in the dirt.


Elli swam by the boys valiantly. I held her up most of the time, so she could concentrate on her paddling.



She was pretty much swimming on her own here - I just stood at the ready in case she started to sink.


Then I took her for a second lap from the side to the steps. Kenni is yelling at her, most likely yelling "RUN, SAVE YOURSELF".




When she got to the steps, Kenni was questioning her and making sure that she had not perished.
He was still not convinced that swimming can be fun.




I really enjoy teasing my pets way too much. Elli actually laid in the sun and dried off after she got out. She didn't run and hide, like the brave Vinni.

Back to work today. Boo. So what did I wear today?



I have had this reversible dress for many years. It usually sees heavy duty during the summer.
The other side is blue.



I topped it with a Jones New York white polyester zip front jacket that is part of a pants suit.



I made a game day substitution with my necklace, and ended up with the big turquoise cross that Doc got me a long time ago.




On my right arm, a silver bracelet and a turquoise/mother of pearl ring that Luke, Ashley and Preston got me for Xmas one year.


On my right arm, a silver/rose gold bracelet, and amethyst tennis bracelet, and a blue topaz ring.


And there you have it - whew !!! We usually aren't as active on the weekend.

Today, I am linking with www.elegantlyfashionable.com, www.stylenudge.com, www.beautybymissl.com, www.notdeadyetstyle.com, and www.pinksole.com.

Have a great day, and see you all soon!!!

1 comment:

  1. loving your pink sundress and of course, all the darling animals! Thanks for sharing, xo

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete